Skilled, Experienced, and Versatile
I have been employed in the industry since 1992. I have been self employed since May of 2000 freelancing in the graphic and web industry.
My skills are hard-earned from real world situations where I alone had to develop both technical and creative solutions.
Capable of Working Remotely
I live in North Carolina and have worked with clients locally and from around the country on a remote basis (Florida, Colorado, Alabama, Arizona, and New York).
Learner and Teacher
I love to learn and I have taught myself many of the skills I know including Photoshop (and other applications) as well as all my internet skills (HTML, PHP, MySQL, etc.).
I love to teach others what I have learned. I am empowered by empowering people. I have enjoyed teaching in different situations including two teaching assistant roles while at SUNY-Purchase, a number of Continuing Education courses at AB-Tech in Asheville, NC, and other various situations such as one-day seminars and one-hour classes at CityMac in Asheville.
I have played various organized team sports for over two decades combined. From my experience, I appreciate competition and I love working in a team environment.
I have a background in fine arts, earning my degree from SUNY-Purchase in 1997. From that background, I moved into graphics as a means of earning a living.
After a few years of working in the graphic design field, I wanted to transition into web design. It seemed a natural evolution, but I learned it was an entirely different arena.
Since then, I’ve worked on many projects in graphic design, web design, and web development. I have also provided dedicated hosting service to my clients for over 16 years.
I never imagined I would find my way from fine arts through graphic design and all the way to web development — but that’s what happened. From that, I have found myself sometimes fulfilling several job roles for clients.
|Apache, Linux, .htaccess, bash||17|
|jQuery, AJAX, JSON||9|
HTML & CSS
I have been using HTML since 1999 and CSS since 2001. I have applied these technologies to web sites and interfaces extensively.
PHP & MySQL
In 2001, I started teaching myself PHP and MySQL. I took on a very ambitious project of developing a content management system (CMS) for a client (which was used later for other clients). It was a huge undertaking covering several years, but I learned the foundation of PHP and MySQL from doing it. It was an extreme approach and very difficult, but the skills I learned were hard earned. I have utilized PHP and MySQL over a broad scope of websites and web applications.
When I delved into regular expressions, I didn’t really know how difficult they would be to learn, but the power I can leverage with them was welll worth it. I use them routinely with ease in many places and I can construct complex and usable regular expressions when needed.
Apache, Linux, bash, .htaccess
I have provided web hosting for my clients for 14 years on dedicated servers — all my knowledge of these technologies comes from maintaining my own web server.
- T. C. Roberson High School
- In addition to the regular curriculum, I studied art and drafting.
- I Graduated in 1985.
- University of North Carolina at Asheville
- A humanities focused university where I was enrolled in the fine arts program.
- I attended 1985-1989 and 1991.
- State University of New York – Purchase
- A highly regarded art conservatory school where I received my B.F.A.
- I Graduated in 1997.
- Everett Studios – White Plains, NY (1997-1998).
- Photo enhancement and retouching
- Image preparation for an array of print devices
- Rapid River Literary Magazine – Asheville, NC (1998-1999)
- Ad and cover design layout
- Publication layout
- Notable Contribution: When I began working with Rapid River, the magazine had just started and was very small and struggling. Through my suggestions and experience, the magazine evolved from a “homemade” literary magazine into a viable art publication. I helped to add a stronger visual scope to the magazine which attracted more advertisers. The publisher, Dennis Ray, has commented that I gave the magazine the foothold it needed to grow into a respected local arts, music, and literature magazine – and it is still being published today.
- Mountain Xpress – Asheville, NC (1999-2000)
- Ad and cover design.
- Self-Employment – Asheville, NC (2000-present)
- Graphic design
- Web design
- Web development and programming
- Web hosting and web server management